Thursday, May 22, 2008


Many watercolours featured on here use the term watercolour with bodycolour.
So what is bodycolour ?
The method of mixing watercolor pigment with an opaque white pigment in a watercolor vehicle (made with gum arabic) is traditionally referred to as gouache. The method of mixing concentrated watercolor pigments with a vehicle that is made with fish gelatin (isinglass jelly) or animal gelatin (size) — without the addition of any white pigment — is traditionally called bodycolor (or distemper in England). However, the two terms are sometimes confused or used interchangeably, both in historical writings and current usage.

No comments: