Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Archibald Thorburn - Autumn Alarm, Blackgame in Flight




signed and dated l.r.: Archibald Thorburn/ 1900
watercolour and bodycolour
43 by 77cm.; 17 by 30¼in.
ESTIMATE 40,000 - 60,000 GBP

'The echo of a distant shot rings out crystal clear across the rolling hillsides and alarms the covey of blackgame, quietly feeding this autumn morning in the shelter of a heathery hollow. Hurriedly they rise and wing their way across the slopes, heading for a distant clump of birch trees behind which they swing and dip into the welcoming shelter of their moorland retreat, there to hide till danger passes.' (John Southern, Thorburn's Landscape, The Major Natural History Paintings, 1981, p.42)

Thorburn Partridges Soar to £192,000 at Bonhams 19th Century Paintings Sale

http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=44576

2 comments:

Sue Catmint said...

Hi Hermes, I appreciate the avian theme of these post. Great blog. cheers, catmint

Hermes said...

A number of his pictures came up at auction at once. I have a few more yet as I like his work. Trees and birds are something I don't know much about, but I hope I can always appreciate the beauty of nature.