Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thomas Maybank - The Glow Worm



Signed and signed and inscribed on the reverse; oil on canvas, 24 × 18 ins

Thomas Maybank is best known as a fairy painter. He worked as a painter and
illustrator in oil and watercolour. He took over from Doyle as illustrator at Punch
after Doyle’s death, showing close similarities in style and choice of subject matter.

His Punch illustrations include A Bank Holiday in Goblin Land and Coronation of
Titania. He practised in Beckenham, Croydon and Esher, working in meticulous
detail. He exhibited mostly in London including the Royal Academy. The Victoria
and Albert Museum holds examples of his work.

2 comments:

Dolls from the Attic said...

What an endearing lovely painting this is...
I love the little fauns and faeries, so child like and sweet.
Just precious
Marta

Hermes said...

I liked this too. I have a lot of Fairy paintings I must scan one day - when I have some time. Its busy being retired!