Friday, May 22, 2009

Lowry painting exceeds estimate


Well he was born in 1887 and I happen to love his paintings.
A painting by LS Lowry which was bought by Cambridgeshire County Council in the 1940s has been sold at auction for £541,250 - £40,000 above its estimate.
The council decided to sell the 1935 painting of Berwick-upon-Tweed's market place to raise money for its cultural programme.
The painting was predicted to fetch between £300,000 and £500,000.
The artwork, bought for 30 guineas in 1945, went to an unnamed buyer at auction at Christie's in London.
.

2 comments:

M.M.E. said...

That's is a gorgeous illustration! Wish I could have afforded it. I'm a huge fan of Victorian artwork. It's the inspiration for my own artwork.

Hermes said...

I would love to own an original Lowry but a few prints will have to do.